Leica BLK2GO Recognized for Technology Innovation and Design
Heerbrugg, Switzerland – December 15, 2020 – Leica Geosystems part of Hexagon, industry leader in measurement technology, today announced that its BLK2GO wireless handheld imaging laser scanner has won several prestigious industry awards.
Since its debut in June 2019, the BLK2GO has been recognized for technology innovation and design and in 2020, earned the following awards.
- Consumer Electronics Show (CES): Best of Innovation Award Winner
- iF Design Award: the world-renowned design competition recognized the BLK2GO in the Design Excellence Category
- Red Dot Design Awards: Winner in the product design
- Architectural Record: Named in the annual Record Products of the Year in the category of Best Building Systems & Components Products.
- Muse Design Awards: Platinum award for Product Design
- International Design Excellence Awards ( IDEA): Gold winner in the Commercial and Industrial Products category.
- Core 77 Design Award: Recognized by judges under “notable” products in the Commercial Equipment
- Architizer A+ Awards: Named a finalist in the annual architecture products awards competition.
- R&D World 100 Awards: Named a finalist in annual competition.
- Architecture Masterprize: Named a “Best of Best” winner in the annual awards competition for architecture products in the category of Building Envelope and Construction Materials
The BLK2GO is the industry’s first wireless handheld imaging laser scanner. It allows users to scan spaces, structures, and objects simply by walking through an area while holding the 1.7 pound device.
“We’re honored to be recognized by some of the industry’s biggest influencers and will continue to develop products that raise in the bar for quality, accuracy, and industrial design,” said Matthias Wieser, vice president of product & UI design, Hexagon Geosystems. “While it’s only been a year since the BLK2GO was first launched, we’re amazed and delighted at the way the industry has embraced it. This includes architects, engineers, construction pros, and visual effects experts that now rely on it to streamline and speed up their work and deliver better, more accurate results for their clients. Our journey has just begun.”
The BLK2GO features a one-button operation that instantly captures the dimensions of the space around it using a dual-axis LiDAR and panoramic imaging. It then takes those images and data and turns them into a colorized and dimensionally-accurate 3D point cloud. The data captured by the BLK2GO can be used to document a space or location, create 3D models, surveying, and designing new buildings or retrofits and remodels. The BLK2GO uses SLAM technology via a combination of LiDAR, imaging, and an inertial measurement unit to orient itself and map 3D spaces in real-time.
About Leica Geosystems
Revolutionising the world of measurement and survey for nearly 200 years, Leica Geosystems creates complete solutions for professionals across the planet. Known for premium products and innovative solution development, professionals in a diverse mix of industries, such as aerospace and defence, safety and security, construction, and manufacturing, trust Leica Geosystems for all their geospatial needs. With precise and accurate instruments, sophisticated software, and trusted services, Leica Geosystems delivers value every day to those shaping the future of our world.
Leica Geosystems is part of Hexagon (Nasdaq Stockholm: HEXA B; hexagon.com), a leading global provider of information technologies that drive quality and productivity improvements across geospatial and industrial enterprise applications.