All Four RZ/G2 MPUs Deliver Secure and Reliable Operation with ECC on All Memories, and More Than 10 Years of Linux Kernel Support
TOKYO — (BUSINESS WIRE) — February 21, 2019 — Renesas Electronics Corporation (TSE: 6723), a premier supplier of advanced semiconductor solutions, today introduced the RZ/G2 Group of 64-bit Arm® Cortex®-A57 and Cortex®-A53-based microprocessors (MPUs) for industrial automation and building automation applications, as the second generation of the RZ/G Series. The four new RZ/G2 MPUs are supported by the Renesas RZ/G Linux Platform for industrial applications, bringing increased performance, reliability, security, and long-term software support to mission-critical applications as well as standard applications with high quality requirements.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190221005258/en/
Renesas' RZ/G2 64-bit MPUs Deliver Industry-Leading Performance with Super Long-Term Support (Graphic: Business Wire)
“RZ/G2 MPUs are designed to meet the needs of developers using embedded controllers in industrial automation and building automation applications,” said Shigeki Kato, Vice President of Renesas’ Enterprise Infrastructure Business Division, Industrial Solution Business Unit. “These applications demand higher performance, comprehensive integrated interfaces, higher reliability, and long-term software support, exactly what RZ/G2 MPUs deliver.”
The RZ/G2 MPUs feature a combination of high-performance 64-bit MPUs, a comprehensive set of integrated interfaces, error checking and correction (ECC) protection on both internal and external memories, and a full Verified Linux Package (VLP) featuring a Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) Super Long-Term Support (SLTS) Linux kernel, bundled with a software development environment that binds safety, security, and reliability across the software and hardware. The RZ/G2 MPUs are the first embedded MPUs on the market offering more than 10 years of support for the 64-bit Linux kernel.
“Renesas is the first member to support the new 64-bit Arm CIP kernel, and we are delighted that the new RZ/G2 MPUs will serve as the first reference hardware for Arm64 for the certification and release of CIP Linux packages,” said Urs Gleim, CIP Governing Board Chairman and Head of Smart Embedded Systems for Siemens AG. “Ultimately, this gets us one step closer to our mission of SLTS for critical systems that are the backbone of our communities worldwide.”
Early technology adapters such as Pioneer DJ Corporation, a leader in the DJ/club and professional audio equipment market, have already started to implement the RZ/G2M, recognizing the MPU’s high performance and graphic functions.
Main Features of the RZ/G2 MPUs
Increased performance for industrial applications:
- Built around 64-bit Arm Cortex A57 and Cortex-A53 64-bit cores, the RZ/G2 MPUs deliver substantial processing performance improvements over the preceding RZ/G1-Group – up to maximum 2.7 times the CPU processing performance.
- RZ/G2 MPUs deliver up to 36 percent higher performance than any other embedded 64-bit MPU on the market.
- Support for the latest high-speed protocols for external memories including LPDDR4 or DDR3L up to 3200 MT/s.
- Fast communication with support for the USB 3.0, SATA, and PCI-e high-speed interfaces, and QSPI and eMMC gigabit interfaces.
- On-chip 3D graphics engine, H.264 and H.265 codec with 4K support, and HDMI, LVDS, and MIPI-CSI2 camera input interfaces as graphics and video functions enable high-end human-machine interface (HMI) applications.
High reliability and security:
- ECC functionality detects and corrects memory errors as a countermeasure for the increased susceptibility to software errors (Note 1) that accompanies small geometry semiconductor processes.
- RZ/G2 MPUs are the only embedded MPUs offering ECC on all internal and external memory interfaces for all devices in the group.
- ECC works with both the on-chip L1/L2-cache memory and external DDR3L or LPDDR4 memory.
- ECC helps eliminate risks associated with malfunctions due to corruption of data in memory, thereby enhancing the reliability of industrial equipment.
Super long-term support:
- The SLTS Linux kernel enables Linux-based embedded systems to be maintained by offering support and security maintenance for more than 10 years, allowing users to reduce Linux maintenance costs and easily adopt reliable industrial-grade Linux.
- A complete VLP and verification test software includes a graphics user interface (GUI) framework with support for HTML5 and Qt, 3D graphics, H.264/H.265 video, and security functions.
- The VLP and test software make it easy for users to develop human machine interface (HMI) and networking functions while also enabling manufacturers to quickly bring to market industrial equipment with rich graphics display functionality similar to that found on mobile devices.