Oct 11, 2017 -- The ASLA 2017 Annual Meeting and EXPO is the largest landscape architecture trade show in the world. It will bring together more than 5,500 attendees and more than 375 exhibitors. The 2017 theme, “Common Ground,” reflects how landscape architects design common areas—including streets, parks, markets and gardens—where people meet and interact, creating and celebrating community.
This year's speakers include:
- Vaughn B. Rinner, FASLA, President of ASLA**
- Nancy Somerville, Hon. ASLA, Executive Vice President and CEO, ASLA**
- Barbara Romero, deputy mayor of Los Angeles**
- Natalie Jeremijenko, Ph.D., an environmental artist and engineer**
- Shalini Kantayya, filmmaker and environmental activist**
** = available for media interviews
The ASLA 2017 Annual Meeting and EXPO is the flagship event for the American Society of Landscape Architects. It brings together thousands of landscape architects who are committed to the discussion of sustainable design and best practices for the built environment.
Key sessions include:
- Better Cities: Reclaiming Land for Cars into Space for People! – What are the methodologies to recapture land for recreation and ecological replenishment and promote sustainable urban growth?
- Anaheim, the City of Kindness: One Mayor’s Approach to the Public Realm – Join Mayor Tom Tait of the City of Anaheim and others for a discussion of using “kindness” as a guiding principle of governance for a diverse community.
- Leading the Charge for Change: The Landscape Architect’s Role in Climate Change – A panel examines strategies to address climate change through design.
- Bee There or Be Square: Promoting Pollinator Habits in Landscape Architecture – Explore how pollinator habitats can be supported by collective effort between conservation biologists and landscape architects.
- Behind the Headlines: A Roundtable About LA River Revitalization Efforts – Join Mia Lehrer, FASLA, and others in this discussion about various planning efforts for the Los Angeles River.
October 20-23, 2017
Los Angeles Convention Center
1201 S Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
Visit aslameeting.com for program details. Follow ASLA on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for meeting news and highlights. The event hashtag is #ASLA2017.
Media accreditation is now open and those planning to cover the ASLA 2017 Annual Meeting and EXPO, Press must be approved and credentialed by ASLA. To apply, please contact Karen Grajales at Email Contact or (202) 216-2371.
Members of the press who have received confirmation from ASLA to attend the meeting are encouraged to pick up their credentials at the event registration station at the Los Angeles Convention Center, 1201 S. Figueroa St., Los Angeles, CA 90015. To pick up your credentials, bring a valid government-issued ID and business card. For all general media questions, please contact Email Contact.
The press room at the convention center will be located in room 309.
Founded in 1899, the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) is the professional association for landscape architects in the United States, representing more than 15,000 members. The Society’s mission is to advance landscape architecture through advocacy, communication, education and fellowship. Sustainability has been part of ASLA’s mission since its founding and is an overarching value that informs all of the Society’s programs and operations. ASLA has been a leader in demonstrating the benefits of green infrastructure and resilient development practices through the creation of its own green roof, co-development of the SITES® Rating System and the creation of publicly accessible sustainable design resources.