- New ARMv8-A-based ARM® Cortex®-A72 processor, 50X increase in CPU performance compared to just five years ago
- New ARM CoreLink™ CCI-500 Cache Coherent Interconnect, allowing higher system bandwidth, and increasing system efficiency
- New ARM Mali™-T880 GPU delivers console-quality gaming and stunning visuals in a mobile power envelope
- Optimization for the leading-edge TSMC 16nm FinFET+ process with ARM POP™ IP
- Cortex-A72 licensees include HiSilicon, MediaTek and Rockchip.
CAMBRIDGE, United Kingdom — (BUSINESS WIRE) — February 3, 2015 — ARM today announced a suite of IP that will enable a new standard for premium experiences on 2016 mobile devices. At the heart of this suite is the ARM Cortex-A72 processor, which is the highest performing CPU technology available for developing mobile SoCs today. In target configurations, the Cortex-A72 processor will deliver CPU performance that is 50X greater than the leading smartphones from just five years ago. The ARM premium mobile experience IP suite also offers a significant graphics upgrade generating a stunning visual experience for users at up to 4K120fps resolution. Devices with this new industry-leading technology suite are expected to enter the market in 2016.
The ARM premium mobile experience IP suite offers the most compelling mobile technology available today. Alongside the Cortex-A72 processor is the new CoreLink CCI-500 interconnect and the new Mali-T880 GPU, ARM’s highest performing and most energy-efficient mobile GPU, along with Mali-V550 video and Mali-DP550 display processors. To further ease chip implementation, the suite also includes ARM POP IP for the leading-edge TSMC 16nm FinFET+ process.
“Our new premium mobile experience IP suite with the Cortex-A72 processor delivers a decisive step forward from the compelling user experiences provided by this year’s Cortex-A57 based devices,” said Pete Hutton, executive vice president and president, products groups, ARM. “For multiple generations, together with our partners, we have delivered the leading-edge of the premium mobile experience. Building on this, in 2016 the ARM ecosystem will deliver even slimmer, lighter, more immersive mobile devices that serve as your primary and only compute platform.”
The 2016 Premium Mobile Experience
The premium mobile experience IP suite addresses the ever-increasing demands of end-users for their primary, always-connected mobile devices capable of creating, enhancing and consuming any content. For 2016 devices, ARM and its partners will boost the mobile experience associated with use cases such as:
- Immersive and sophisticated image and video capture, including 4K120fps video content
- Console-class gaming performance and graphics
- Productivity suites requiring fluid handling of documents and office applications
- Natural language user interfaces capable of running natively on a smartphone.
Introducing Cortex-A72, the Highest Performance ARM Cortex Processor
More than ten partners, including HiSilicon, MediaTek and Rockchip, have already licensed the Cortex-A72 processor, which is based on the ARMv8-A architecture that delivers energy-efficient 64-bit processing while providing full backward compatibility to existing 32-bit software. The Cortex-A72 processor will deliver substantial new benefits:
- Sustained operation within the constrained mobile power envelope at frequencies of 2.5 GHz in a 16nm FinFET process and scalable to higher frequencies for deployment in larger form factor devices
- 3.5X the performance of 2014 devices based on the Cortex-A15 processor
- Improved energy efficiency that delivers a 75 percent reduction in energy consumption when matching performance of 2014 devices
- Extended performance and efficiency when the Cortex-A72 CPU is combined with a Cortex-A53 CPU in ARM big.LITTLE™ processor configurations.
CoreLink CCI-500, Extending Efficiency Across the SoC
CoreLink CCI-500 Cache Coherent Interconnect enables big.LITTLE
processing and delivers system power savings thanks to an integrated
snoop filter. CoreLink CCI-500 delivers double the peak memory system
bandwidth and offers a 30 percent increase in processor memory
performance compared to the previous generation CoreLink CCI-400. This
enables more responsive user interfaces and accelerates memory intensive
workloads such as productivity applications, video editing and
multi-tasking. CoreLink CCI-500 fully supports ARM TrustZone®
technology for a secure media path enabling protection of multimedia
content when used with the Mali product family.